About Me

My Photo

At the age of 14, I saw my neighbors fly by on their Yamaha R6's everyday and I thought...how cool would it be to ride one day? And here I am. Initially I got into it for the thrill but recently discovered a different side of riding. Touring. And so this blog exists to document my motorcycle adventures.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 1: Superslab Part 1

The goal of day 1 was to get as far to the west coast as possible. I had 2 options, cross at Sarnia which would send me through the Greater Toronto Area, Detriot, and Chicago during rush hour or take the road less travelled and cross at Sault Ste Marie. I opted for the latter although it will cost me 4 extra hours. At least they’re 4 predictable hours as opposed to the unpredictable city traffic. Besides, I’m coming back home that way.

I started the day off a little late as I had to run to Canadian Tire to get another dry sack for my tent. Planned start time was 9am, but I left at 10am. It was about 15 degrees and raining when I left my house. Not bad, its only a little rain. As I rode more North, it got colder…a lot colder. About 5 degrees when I got to Sudbury. There was even snow on the side of the road.

The journey to the border at Sault Ste Marie was pretty much uneventful besides having a few close calls with the Ontario Provincial Police. There is an abundance of OPP sitting on the side of the highway and driving around in Northern Ontario and I passed many at over the speed limit but they seemed to have turned a blind eye. Or maybe I just got lucky.

I get to the border around 4pm. Line up is 3 cars long so I thought I’d get through here in no time. I get to the booth, the guy starts grilling me about where I’m going, why I’m going there, what the point of riding around all day is, etc. I eventually get sent to secondary inspection where they took a look through all my bags. Not very fun and it cost me about 30 minutes. At least the secondary inspection guys were nice, even gave me a few tips and destinations to visit.

By now, I’m freezing my ass off because of the cold and rain. My socks were soaked, I had to wring them out at every rest stop. I couldn’t wait to get to a motel to have a nice hot shower. That’s all I thought about…a nice hot shower…but I needed to cover some road. I rode until it got dark and found myself a little motel in a small town. I unpacked my stuff and I was really thirsty so I grabbed a water bottle that was in my bag and took a swig. ???? It tasted like alcohol. Oops, I forgot that I put mouthwash into a waterbottle…the same type of waterbottle I had my water in.

Next thing to do? Nice hot shower. And now I’m sitting here having a footbath eating some ritz crackers I packed. Best part of the day.

Not many pictures today since I was trying to make up time and it was too cold to stop, take off my gloves, grab my camera, and snap a few. However, my GPS seemed to have glitched. At least I have my average speed and km’s covered. 888kms for 11 hours traveled. Not as good as I thought but I did get delayed a couple of times.



3 comments:

  1. 8 is lucky # for chinese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck! ride safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grab the hotel garbage bags and use them over your socks if it gets stupid wet again. I was out East and got caught in rain so bad I was pouring water out of my waterproof boots, my water resistant pants let the rain roll down my legs filling up my boots. Lol.

    So have a look for a cheap heated vest while you're in the States. Even the Harley dealerships sell them, and you can wire it to your battery with your toolkit. It keeps your core and heart warm to pump hot blood out to those cold extremities. You'll thank me. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Hit Counter
stats counter